Sunday 30 August 2009

ROUND TWO - BAMBER BRIDGE V RUNCORN LINNETS

So the unofficial second round of the FA Cup 2009/10 took place over the weekend of 28-30th August with 334 teams battling for a place in the First Qualifying Round.

My fundraising campaign for Cancer Research UK took me north to the Irongate stadium, home of Bamber Bridge FC.
Having met so many people at the previous game at Runcorn Linnets, it was pleasing to see many of the same faces again; and also hear the non-stop chanting and amusing songs.

I was joined for this game by my brother, Robert, and friend Lawrence, both of whom helped massively with the matchday collection. Lawrence has set up a facebook group to keep everyone up-to-date on that site, thank you for doing that.

Thank you also to everyone at Bamber Bridge FC for their hospitality and donations, it was very much appreciated.

The weather was better than forecast, though still disappointing for August. The sun did shine on the game with the only rain being the shots on Runcorn Linnets' goal.

Two hat-tricks from Ryan Zico-Black and Phil Eastwood led Bamber Bridge to a flattering but deserved 6-0 victory over the Linnets.

I was disappointed not to see Runcorn Linnets go through, due to the kind and generous nature of the club and all its supporters. A big thank you to everyone, I wish you the best of luck for the rest of the season in the Vodkat League and hope to see you at future games this season.

I special mention to chairman Derek Greenwood, who managed to find a programme from 1961, which included a mention of my dad, who played for Runcorn while on loan from Marine. It's amazing how 48 years later I've linked up with an old club of my dad's; Derek, I can't thank you enough for finding the programme.

So on to the next round and after a 2-1 win over Vodkat League rivals Ramsbottom United, it'll be Maine Road who entertain Bamber Bridge in the First Qualifying Round on the weekend of 11-13th September. I'll confirm the date and ko time once confirmed.

I'm looking forward to meeting new people at Maine Road and also hope to see friends from Bamber Bridge there too.

Yesterday raised a total of £121.42 taking the total to almost £400 of the target of £5,000.

As usual you can donate at www.justgiving.co.uk/richard-knowles or join the facebook group at

www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=264962860242&ref=nf


Look forward to seeing you all at Maine Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment